Friday, July 10, 2020


A VIEW OF LOVE FROM HEAVEN #1
BLOG #63 - 7/10/2020

In 1 Corinthians 13:1-3, NIV, what is the Apostol Paul communicating to us? Maybe, the biblical passage will be easier to understand if we break it up into sections.

“If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.” A gong or cymbal just makes a sound, not a beautiful melody. Without love, even if we can speak many languages well, it is just noise. Love communicates when persuasive speech or eloquence may not.  

“If I have the gift of prophecy and I can fathom (or understand) all mysteries and have all knowledge,” but I do not have love in my heart “I am nothing.” He who has the gift of prophecy helps us to understand God’s Word. However, proclaiming the truth of God’s Word must be ministered in love. The same is true with the gifts of wisdom and knowledge.

If “I have a faith that can move mountains but have not love, I am nothing.” The theologian John MacArthur says, “the gift of faith is useless without selfless love.”     

“If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.” It has been said: “We can give without love. However, we cannot love without giving.” As for surrendering our bodies to the flames, the Apostle Paul says we ought “to offer (our) bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God” (Romans 12:1, NIV).

                                                                                                                                     cpaulwooderson.com




















No comments:

Post a Comment